Regional Inspector General for West Africa (RIG/DAKAR)
About the Office of Inspector General (OIG):
All Federal departments and agencies have an Office of Inspector General (OIG) which is an independent office, which isresponsible for oversight of their respective agency. The OIG acts as an internal audit function in the private sector.
The USAID/OIG has offices in Washington, DC and nine regional offices:Washington, San Salvador, Dakar, Pretoria, Cairo,Baghdad, Kabul, Islamabad, and Manila
- Our main objectives are to detect and prevent fraud, waste, abuse, and violations of law and to promote economy, efficiency and effectiveness at USAID.
- RIG/Dakar does audits and investigations.
- RIG/Dakar does not currently have any investigators at post; allegations of fraud are referred to our Washington office, which would send an investigator on a temporary duty basis as needed.
There are two types of audits:
- Performance audits (also known as operational audits) typically evaluate the implementation of USAID programs.
- Financial audits of USAID programs are typically contracted to local accounting firms and audit the financial activities of the USAID implementing partners. RIG/Dakar provides direction to the audit firm, reviews the audit report, and issues recommendations to the appropriate USAID Mission for action.
The RIG/Dakar Team:
- Gerard Custer, Director
- Abdoulaye Gueye, Audit Manager
- Mamadou Bah, Courier/Custodian
- Wrenn Bellamy, Auditor
- Steve Bennett, Auditor
- Marie Jo Forster, Administrative Assistant
- Jill Randall, Auditor
- Benjamin Owusu, Auditor
- Cheikh Talla, Auditor
The OIG Hotline:
- The purpose of the OIG hotline is to receive complaints of fraud, waste, or abuse in USAID programs and operations, including mismanagement or violations of law, rules, or regulations by employees or program participants.
- Employees, program participants, or the general public can report suspicious and fraudulent activity, with the option of remaining anonymous, by four different methods:
Telephone: (202) 712-1023 or (800) 230-6539
Mail: USAID OIG